Friday, May 11, 2012

A Journey Through the Supermarket


The most interesting part of the poem “A Supermarket in California” by Allen Ginsberg, in my opinion, was when the author spotted Walt Whitman “poking along the meats in the refrigerator”. It is such a random event, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, yet it somehow works. It fits in and flows with the rest of the story. It makes sense that Ginsberg would've chosen a supermarket as the setting. A supermarket is a gathering place for all kinds of people, because everyone needs groceries. The author also mentions coming across Garcia Lorca, a famous Spanish poet, which, like with Whitman, is also a symbolic meeting. I like the idea of walking through the supermarket and coming across the people who inspire you. For me, it would be like running in to Clint Eastwood, J.P. Morgan, and John Steinbeck at my local Kroger.
The author talks about following Whitman and later walking with him. I take this to mean that he is engaging in a conversation with Whitman, finding out more about his life and what inspired him. I am kind of curious to know what really gave Ginsberg the idea to write this story. It is an interesting concept. One idea I have for the source of inspiration comes from the fact that people I know of in Los Angeles sometimes come across celebrities at their local grocery stores. Perhaps Ginsberg as aware of this and thought it might make for an interesting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment